March 24, 2010

Six Things I Like & One I Don't

Just a few things today that I think are pretty cool and wanted to share:



These lovely dessert treats by the Pioneer Woman. I loved them when she first posted them, I love the recap she posted today and I still want to, but have not yet, tried making them.



Nathan’s Famous Kosher Dill Pickles. OMG, these are the best dill pickles on earth. And so hard to find! Not sour. Perfectly heavy on the garlic. Not too salty. Crispy. The only thing that comes close to these are the sandwich slices that are used at Potbelly Sandwich Works. I ask for them as a side dish every time I go there.  Hmmm... PW's ice cream, Nathan's pickles.  Uh, NO!  I'm not pregnant.

Okay, let's get off the food....



Sticking with nutrition a moment longer (not that the dessert and pickles above are exactly health food... but there was a theme here)... I found out a while back (less than a year ago) that I was super low in Vitamin D. A normal level of Vitamin D should be over 20, closer to 25 or 30. I was at a “4” when they tested me. Since starting to take Vitamin D (almost) daily, I have definitely felt a difference in my energy level, if nothing else. And I’ve discovered that while I’m pasty-white and have no melanin to speak of, I still need to make an effort to get out in the sun for 15 minutes a day without sunscreen. This is tough, but I’m working on it. Even though I take 1000 IUs a day, I still just barely hover around 20. Yikes!



Articulate. This is no where NEAR food.  It is a new software program that I’m using at my day job to create rapid e-learning modules (web-based self-training) for our company. It certainly has it’s glitches, but overall, it’s a pretty slick-o program and I’m totally loving playing in it!  (This shows you that I'm a closet computer geek because I'm so happy and excited about a new software program.)

Thirty-one Gifts – I can’t find a picture to post, although I’m sure once I get my first bag, I’ll be posting it. The Hubs just accepted an IT job for this company. Prior to them seeking him out for employment, I had never heard of this place. Now… of course… I’m finding all kinds of things to buy that may end up competing with my scrapbooking money!



T.I.G.E.R.S. I never had heard of this place until recently when I logged into my Facebook account after months of ignoring it, and discovering that one my nieces applied and was accepted into their 2-year apprenticeship program. I won’t tell you the expletives that first went through my mind. I mean, for 2-years she will live and breathe this job… no time off. Not weekends. Not holidays. That boggles my mind. But reading into the site a little further, I can see the appeal… for a 22-year old with no full-time job. Yep. Pretty neat.

And this is the one thing I'm not liking at the moment:



I'm very scared of this.  Not the bee...well, in real life outside, I am afraid of being stung.  But that's not the issue here.  The issue is the distinct and scary dying off of the honey bee.  If they go, people, we are surely going to suffer.  Global warming notwithstanding... the bee pollinates too many of our foods.  This year's losses were the worst yet!

What's going on in your world?

3 comments:

  1. T.I.G.E.R.S. WOW! Did you read the 'Doc's bio? What a background. I'm sure your niece will love every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the second person today that I know to post about Vitamin D deficiency. Is the Universe sending me a message?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pots are super cute! and yummy looking. Lisa L.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails