May 19, 2010

My 40th... the Highlights


Whew!  What a weekend.  SO much scrapbooking fodder!

We all know it started with the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure 5K.  Once again, this was Ah-MAZE-ing!  Here are a few photos from this year:


Can you see how far the walkers stretched out in front?
I was close to the beginning so there were twice as many in back of me.


Pink as far as the eye can see!


Here are The Hubs and The Girl.
The Hubs is so nice to carry my camera bag for me!

Throughout the walk, what I love best is the entertainment and the people watching. There are musicians along the way playing music to keep you moving... there is always this guy on his balcony cheering us on with a cow bell or a pot and wooden spoon (like this time).  And then there are the cheerleaders...




Bikers for Boobs.  They rev their engines as you walk by.
Very cool (excepting the exhaust)

And the people watching.  Pink wigs abound, as they are in support of some local celebrities who passed from breast cancer.  I wore one, as you can see in this post.  One of the salons in town offered to style the pink wig for $5 (donated to breast cancer research)... I'm not sure if these ladies styled their wigs themselves or if the salon did it.  Excepting the one on the far right, methinks they did it themselves!


And the gal we walked with who is a survivor:


This is she coming through the Survivor's alley...

Afterwards, I took a nice long nap, to get ready for my 'bash'.  The Hubs and the kids took me to the restaurant.  Sadly, I don't have any photos from this event because even though I brought my camera, I was too busy being "in the moment" to take any.  Friends did take some for me, though, I just haven't gotten copies from them yet.  No worries on that scrappin' front!  My bestest buds were there, plus a couple of their husbands... and a surprise friend who is my LONGEST running friend since I moved here to Ohio.  We don't get to spend a lot of time together because our lives move in such wildly separate directions, so it was awesome that she was able to make it.  From my friends I got some lovely gifts, including a wonderful art print (she has a different art print in her office that I have coveted) all the way from New Mexico...


Sorry about the glare.  It says, "Time stands still  best
in moments that look surprisingly like
ordinary life."

...some cards (by the same artist), the decorative license plate at the top of my blog, and a KITCHEN AID!!  I've been wanting one of those forever, and keep failing to win one over at Pioneer Woman!




After a scrumptious dinner, some of the "elder" friends went home (and I do say that lovingly... it was their choice!) while the rest of us went to my (as you already know) FAVORITE entertainment venue, Shadowbox Cabaret.  My loving Hubs had a wonderful surprise for me... CHER!  Yes, CHER came out and sang a version of the song "Do You Believe in Love"... with a few birthday twists, of course.  (S)he was HOT, man!  HOT!  Here's a photo as proof.  Cher!!



In addition, my sweet, thoughtful, loving friends got me yet ANOTHER gift... of course my own well-being as embark on the journey over the hill was topmost in their mind as I opened this:


Depends for Women, Ensure, Century Senior Vitamins,
Vaseline, Stool Softener and an over-sized pill sorter.

The rest of the evening was uneventful with great rock-n-roll and comedy and some drinks.  Home after 1am, though... am I too old for that?  Let's see...

Sunday the festivities continued.  I went BACK to Shadowbox to see Back to the Garden again.  (Told ya I love that place).  Then after that was over, I had to work at the store.  It was Survivor finale night, and we do a special Survivor crop each season, so I had to go host that.



Monday I was soooo sleeeeepy that I didn't drag myself out of bed to take a shower until well after noon. And even after that I snoozed quite a bit.  I was surprised to be woken from one of my naps with a knock on the door to receive these:



Flowers from Rachel at SFTIO.  I love them!  How cool are they?!  Thanks Rachel!! 

After the flowers roused me, I sat at my scrappin' table and forced myself to clean it up.  The Hubs and kids interrupted that with dinner for me, then cake (from Cold Stone Creamery) and presents.  Two of my gifts were DVDs of Avatar (yay!) and August Rush.  We watched August Rush after those festivities ended and then to beddie bye.




Tuesday was much of a repeat of Monday, with a lot of sleeping and napping. I finally got down to scrap a little after 3pm and did that until Lost came on. 

All in all, it was a most excellent 40th birthday celebration!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Wow! I guess you were adequately fussed over then. Sounds like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it certainly sounds like you had a great time, I am pleased :-) I was thinking of you at the weekend, I remembered you were doing the 5K and was mentally cheering you on! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails