February 10, 2010

Winter Wonderland


Before I get off into my post, I wanted to thank everyone who supported, pushed, gave incentives, feedback and general comments on my new scrap space.  It was a long time coming and I - Am - Loving - It!

So, it snowed pretty heavily again yesterday. After I got home from work, The Hubs and I took a little time out to play in it, with our doggies.  The photo above is Hunter.  He's a little short for the amount of snow we got... so this is him looking longingly at me in the middle of the yard, playing with our bigger dog, Rocky.  So sad, so jealous!



The Hubs chasing Rocky.  Hunter can walk under Rocky without crouching... check out how deep Rocky was in the snow.  No wonder Hunter stayed by the porch steps.



Just for fun I coaxed Hunter out to me in the middle of the yard.  He came out, but didn't want to stay.  I'm holding onto him just for the photo op.  Here he is looking longingly at the safety of the porch.  Ma, can I go in now?



Standoff!



Rocky pulled up a stick from under the snow... we tossed it for him twice and then he was done.  We think he got a cramp from jumping and plowing through the snow.  Poor old guy.  He's not as spry as he used to be.  We even had to take him around to the front of the house to let him in because he was whimpering and didn't want to go up the porch steps.

But after a few minutes inside and a lovely little massage from me, he was good as new and I would guess that he felt the same way we did.  It was fun!

The entire time I was outside, the song “Winter Wonderland” kept ringing through my head. Now in order to share some of my recent frustration, I’d like to share these lyrics. Please read through it pretty thoroughly, because I have question for you at the end of them:

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight.
Walking in a winter wonderland.

Gone away is the bluebird,
Here to stay is a new bird
He sings a love song,
As we go along,
Walking in a winter wonderland.

In the meadow we can build a snowman,
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say: Are you married?
We'll say: No man,
But you can do the job when you're in town.

Later on, we'll conspire,
As we dream by the fire
To face unafraid,
The plans that we've made,
Walking in a winter wonderland.

In the meadow we can build a snowman,
And pretend that he's a circus clown
We'll have lots of fun with mister snowman,
Until the other kids knock him down.

When it snows, ain't it thrilling,
Though your nose gets a chilling
We'll frolic and play, the Eskimo way,
Walking in a winter wonderland.

And so, I ask you… why is this considered a Christmas Carol? There isn’t a single Christmas reference in any of the lyrics. And yet, I was harassed, cajoled and bullied to take this song OFF of my cell phone as my ringback tune.

Just Because The Radio Gods Only Play This During The Holiday Season Does Not Make This A Christmas Carol.

I have the same feeling about Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg… just because the song’s timeframe is Christmas Eve, does not make this a Christmas SONG!

Whew. Sorry about that. I’ll go take some deep breaths and move on.

But first I’m going to put my cell phone ringback tone BACK to Winter Wonderland. Hah!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the puppies in the snow!
    LOVE "Winter Wonderland", regardless of whether it's a "carol".
    LOVE "Same Old Lang Syne". You're right - it's NOT a Christmas song. I wonder why DJ's never play any of the real Christmas songs from Dan's Christmas album instead?

    If we ever call you, we hope to hear "Winter Wonderland"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I love it about the ringback, especially since I was one of the ones to point it out (incorrectly, I might add) as a holiday song. Put it back, it's nice to listen to when I call.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails