September 23, 2010

The Neighbors Must Think I'm Crazy!


There were lessons learned tonight, but I'm not sure I can put it into a nice, succinct  phrase... so I'll just share the story.

Tonight is the Harvest Moon.  This particular Harvest Moon is a rare one, occurring within 24-hours of the Autumnal Equinox, or the first day of autumn (as a fall lover, my high holy holiday of holidays... the first day of fall).  It won't happen again until 2029 or something like that. 

The Boy said, "why is it called a harvest moon when we don't even go there anymore and don't have crops to harvest?"  He wasn't really trying to be funny.  That's the sad part of that question.  This, of course, opened up the door - wide - for me to enlighten him of the true reason why it's called a harvest moon.  I'm not sure he appreciated the "learning moment".

Okay, regardless... I wish I was a better photographer... or that I knew NOW how to use my fancy camera better.  The photo above was the clearest shot I got, but sadly the moon had risen behind a tree by then.  Thousands of photos (I exaggerate, slightly) and by the time I was getting the hang of it... Mr. Moon was behind a tree.  Maybe by 2029 I'll be a pro! 

In the middle of the impromptu photo shoot, the Boy said, "did they get a cat?" indicating the neighbor's house in the direction of which I was pointing my camera.  I look over to their window and see the blinds parting.  Whoops!  No cat.  It was a neighbor.  Apparently there was a flash/light shining brightly from my camera (until I changed the settings) and they were peering out wondering what it was.  They must think I'm crazy.  Or... perverted.  So... I stopped before I was satisfied so as not to have the police called on me. 

Mostly I got blurry shots of a beautiful harvest moon. 

And  a wet bottom.  Thank you invisible puddle of rain in the deck chair.  Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know why you are wishing to be a better photographer. This photo is stunning. I love the silhouette of the leaves against the light from the moon. I love the placing of the moon on the right handside. It is such a clever photo. Other, less confident photographrs, would have gone for a picture of the moon in the middle of the photo and as little blackness as possible. What you have done, is produce an artistic shot which is totally stunning. Stop putting your abilities down and get out there and take some more stunning shots. I'm a firm believer that it's the photographer that gets the fantastic shots not the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Bernice said! This shot is absolutely gorgeous and has far more impact than a full-on moon shot would have! So why is it called a harvest moon? I didn't know that is what it was last night, all I knew is that when I was awake most of the night because I couldn't breathe that the sky looked unusually bright for nighttime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that shot! Its PERFECTION for fall...

    ON the other hand, I somewhat wish I had a shot of you (or a thousand...) trying to get the settings right and then finding that you are being spied upon by the neighbors...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails