September 1, 2010

Back to School!


Ahhhhh... September. Back to school... the potential of all that new information you didn't have before....

The Girl is a freshman in high school this year.  She's the last of the three to be in any type of structured schooling.  As she embarks on the journey (which she so far hates) of the next four years, I decided that it's time for me to go "back to school" at 40.  Not "official" or "traditional" school, but my own version of adventures in learning.  And instead of four years of high school, I'm focusing on the next thirty days.

That book up there?  That's going to be my text book.  It's mostly blank inside... which is odd, when you think that most texts are decidedly... not blank.  This text book is the one I'm going to be writing. I'm creating what I'm learning. Or, better yet, as I learn, I am writing it down so as not to forget. 

You'll get it all here, too... as I go forth over the next 30 days with a new awareness in "what have I learned today".  In fact, you'll probably get it first, before the book is written.

My one dilemma is I did start writing in the journal in 2007... about 5 pages.  I'm not sure whether I should tear them out (and store them elsewhere) or leave them in and start my new focus a few pages in... I'm open to suggestions, please!
I'm excited.  I used to journal every day as a teen... especially the years my youngest is now enmeshed within.  I still have every one, lined up on my bookcase shelf.  I didn't scrapbook then.  I think I'm going to try my hand at an art journal.  I'm not 100% sure I know the "definition" of an "art journal" but if I can combine my journaling with some artsy embellishments, I suppose that's my own definition.

I guess I'll learn as I go.

Learning is good.

Right?

5 comments:

  1. I think you should leave the pages in as a kind of 'prequel' to the main event. It's so interesting to look back on what you were doing, thinking and feeling years ago and it will be enlightening to compare how things are now.
    It's going to be an interesting week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah for learning!! I don't know what you should do with the first few pages that you filled in earlier. I have a few journals that are the same - bits and pieces of memory here and there. I have no idea what to do with them! I might one day take them all out and put them together into a mini book of some type...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems we are all "back in school" for the next thirty days! Love the journal - it is so pretty maybe you'll WANT to write in it. As for the earlier entries, since you are unsure, leave them for now. You can always remove them later if you decide on some specific purpose or place for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous journal - it's perfect for class :-) I'd leave the pages for now too; you can always remove them later if you want, or collage over them to make an introduction to the book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping a journal is a great idea!
    I've also recently started to do this regularly. It's a great way to look back on how you were thinking and feeling at a specific time to get a good hind-sight. This helps in making decisions (and keeps you from making the same mistakes!).

    One of my mentors in life, Jim Rohn, put it best.


    http://www.allinspiration.com/Life/Special%20Sections/JimRohn/keeping_a_journal_one_of_the_three_treasures_to_leave_behind.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails