I did it!
I followed a very healthy, very strict meal plan for 21 days, including three consecutive and one independent day of "detox".
I did it!
I can't even explain the euphoria I feel over reaching this goal. I am not a person who follows "diets". I am someone who believes that "anything in moderation" is appropriate. What I learned over the last three weeks is that what I perceived as "moderation" was really "excess".
What I learned:
- Before this plan, I did not eat nearly enough fruits or vegetables.
- Ice cream is not an every-day "need" or "reward".
- If you eat healthy foods, cravings really DO go away.
- You don't have to eat carbs to feel satisfied, as long as you do eat the right things to make up for that "craving".
- This "way" of eating is not a "diet" and can be life-long (and will be).
- Emotional eating doesn't "cure" the emotional issue.
- I am emotional.
- I am off-the-charts emotional.
- Without my choice comfort foods as my "drug" to stuff the emotions back in, they...uh...come out.
- The come out in droves.
- Display of said emotions is uncomfortable for me, but it's okay...
I promised myself I would "get through" this three week plan. I would be open and give it an honest try. And if, at the end of the three weeks, I hated it, I promised myself I'd never have to do it again.
Instead, I've discovered a new way to eat... well, not new, but new-to-me. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything (thanks to "treat/cheat" days), and I've honest and truly learned what "moderation" means.
I am happy and so proud of myself for this "growth".
I just had to share. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming, tomorrow.
Oh, and by the way... I think all this learning was a great way to kick off Shimelle's Learn Something New Every Day class! :) Care to join me?