January 24, 2010

It's the Little Things...

It’s the little things we do and say
That mean so much as we go our way,
A kindly deed can lift a load
From weary shoulders on the road,
Or a gentle word, like summer rain,
May soothe some heart and banish pain,
What joy or sadness often springs
From just the simple little things.
~ Willa Hoey ~
Sometimes it is all about the little things.  Right?  Often I don't take the time to stop and really think about it... think on it and absorb it and... appreciate it.

Tonight, when I didn't really feel like cooking dinner,  my youngest pouted.  I asked her what time she was going "home" (to her bio-mom's).  She said 5pm.  I truly, honestly, did not want to start dinner at 3:30pm so she could eat before she left.  I wasn't hungry.  I had a lot of things to do.  It's a Sunday and I just sometimes want to do nothing on Sundays. 

And then she said, "But your cooking is always So Good!"

It wasn't manipulative.  It wasn't whiny.  It wasn't pouty.  It almost went straight over my head, but I stopped and took a breath and realized... it was a compliment from a 14-year old.

She got dinner.

1 comment:

  1. glad you took a moment to notice. Real compliments are few and far between at that age.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails