August 9, 2009

Things I Never Thought I'd Say...

  • “Kids today… {fill in the blank}”
  • “Stop running!”
  • “Because I said so!”
  • “When you’re {older, more mature, graduated, 21, a mother, working full time} you’ll understand.”
  • “I’m too old to {fill in the blank}.”
Age will kill ya! True statement. Every day you move further away from your birth and closer to your death. It doesn’t have to be depressing. All my life, I’ve maintained that you’re only as old as you act/feel. And at 18 to 20-something, I never felt “too old” for anything. But today, I had an epiphany. I AM too told for some things.

Consider this… as a teen and college age gal, I could skip sleeping like some people can skip eating. (BTW, the not eating thing is not something I’ve ever mastered.) I didn’t get tired. I ran on pure will-power. I remember days in college where I would go on 1-3 hours of sleep for 4-5 days before crashing out for 12 hours. And I felt fine. I didn’t feel “draggy” or groggy. I was awake, aware and energetic. Yes, physically I knew I wasn’t “OK”… my driving skills suffered, for one. Good thing I walked most places. My concentration on homework and in class? I’m sure it wasn’t up to 100%. But I did it and felt very little after effects. Let’s be very clear, too, that I am not a coffee drinker. I had an occasional coca-cola, but other than that, caffeine did not keep me awake. Energy drinks were barely, if at all, in existence back then (late 80’s, early 90’s). Like I said, pure will power.

I am SO too old to do that. I still do, but it doesn’t feel good anymore. I’m TIRED. All the time. I need to recognize that I’m just too old to run on 5 or less hours of sleep. This “old” body needs at least eight. My inner rebel is screaming, “Bedtime before midnight? Never!” Oh, yes… I still believe in what I said above – you’re only as old as you act/feel. But boy oh boy, it is time for the 10 o’clock bedtime. Because I’m just too old to run on pure will power now.

In the words of the great Max Headroom: I need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails