May 30, 2012

Confessions of a Chronic Over-Committer...

I used to work at a scrapbook store.  For nearly eight years.  And during much of that time, I wished I didn't work so much.  I thought of all the things I could be doing if only I didn't work two jobs.  I loved that store and could never bring myself to quit (except once, but it was only for a month).  Almost one year ago, it close down.  At the time I thought, finally, I will have time to myself to do what I want to do!  

[insert maniacal laughter here]

I first decided to begin concentrating more on my fitness and health.  I decided that I would spend every spare waking minute scrapbooking.  I thought I could get my yard in order and actually grow plants and flowers instead of weeds.  I thought I'd be able to clear out that "spare" room downstairs that is storing boatloads of crap. All the wallpaper in the house? I'd get it all down and repaint.  I would read more books, write more blog posts and dabble with drawing and art journaling.  I promised to cook more and weed through my recipes, saving only the ones we loved.


[insert exhausted laughter, bordering on near-hysterics, here]

Well, I have scrapbooked more.  But not enough to feel I have accomplished anything... for myself.  I have read more books (yay!) but most of them have been in the past 2-3 months!  I have ripped wallpaper down from my bedroom and repainted it, with the help of The Hubs, but we haven't 100% finished it (hence the no "after" photos posted here yet).   I have made those recipe books, but haven't done much transferring into them.

That spare room downstairs?  You can only walk one foot into it before encountering junk.  (Very, very sad confession time coming up...) I have blankets and linens waiting downstairs by the washer and dryer to be cleaned... from LAST spring cleaning!

[covers my eyes and shakes my head]

What have I spent my time on?  Working out... that I can say I have accomplished.  Spending time with friends.  I have done many an outing that have created wonderful memories with friends and family.  Selling tea... not a lot of time and that's only recently...

And yet, even though I feel I haven't spent enough time "doing what I want to do", I still say "yes" when people ask me to do things.  I seriously do not know how to say "no".

Hi, I'm Kai, and I'm a chronic over-committer.

Would anyone else out there want to join my one-person self-help for over-committers group?  Because I'm seriously thinking of starting one.

Except.... hmmmm...

That would mean I'm committing to one. more. thing.

(please share with me... if you are not a chronic over-committer... how do you do it?)


1 comment:

  1. I'm not an over-committer by any means, but I'm totally a people pleaser and I recognize doing more than might actually be fulfilling for all the wrong reasons!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Thank you for sharing yourself with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails